Saturday, November 1, 2008

Valuable Face Time

Earlier this week I was doing some online networking with other Virtual Assistants. I expressed my surprise that more VAs don't go out and network face-to-face, because I feel like I haven't seen enough people if I go to less than 3 networking events every week. I've met a couple of VAs in person, but they just don't seem to like leaving the house - or something. Anyways, I was told that many VAs don't really like to seem dominant and aren't comfortable networking.

I'll admit that networking, at least at first is uncomfortable, because you walk into a room full of strangers who all seem to have friends to talk to. So there you are, the friendless geek in the corner not talking to anyone. After you show up a couple of times, people start talking to you a lot more. I've gotten around the issue by becoming an "Ambassador" for the Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commerce and greet people at the door, so they are walking into my room, not the other way around, so I have a psychological edge. By networking with enough different groups, I usually know at least one person in any room of networkers, and there are times when I know more people than not.



People often ask me where I network, because I do a lot of networking for my business. So, in case you've been wondering who I've been spending time with:
Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commerce - They are the big organization in the area and have great educational programs and a lot of networking opportunities. I figure I need to be where the business people are and that is the Chamber of Commerce.
Arizona Small Business Association (ASBA) - My client base - small businesses. ASBA also has great educational programs. I recommend ASBA for all Arizona small businesses.
Philippine-American Chamber of Commerce (PACCA) - Now, it is pretty obvious to even the most casual observer that I am not philippino. They don't seem to care. This little organization is a gem. They have great speakers at their monthly meetings. It is always good to find new people to add to your network.
Arizona Business Leads - Yep, it is a leads/referral group (like BNI, but different). I'm in the business-to-business group, mainly because it's a lot closer to home. (Just saying.)
The 3000 Club - a charitable organization that rescues produce and sends it to food banks throughout the states and provides networking opportunities for it's members. So, I get to help others and help my business? How great is that? Don't be shy about joining if you want to help. The clowns in the video above are members and just as nice and funny in person as you see in the clip- maybe even more so.
Here's a video about The 3000 Club:

No comments: